Monday 9 September 2013

A Film, A Band, A Book.

As Autumn/Winter comes in, so does the time for a) going to lots more gigs (this always happens when the weather is rubbish),  b) snuggling up and watching a plethora of weird and wonderful films, and c) reading lots of lovely books. Mine and Sam’s tradition of snugging up to watch utterly crap films kind of prompted this last week. So I’m joining the trend of picking a film, a band, and a book that I think deserves mentioning, each month, and telling you lot about them.

A Dangerous Method
When I originally wrote the intro to the post, I wrote film/band/song that I’m loving. I had to change it, for this film. I can’t not mention this, but it certainly is not something that I am loving.

So as most of you probably know, Netflix recommends you films that it thinks you will like, depending on what you’ve watched/shown interest in before. For months now, Netflix has been recommending A Dangerous Method to me. I didn’t watch it. I didn’t even look to see what it was about – because the cover looked completely rubbish. Then last week when I was looking into Michael Fassbender’s filmography, I stumbled across the description of a film that sounded brilliant. To summarise, A Dangerous Method supposedly documents the relationship between Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung, along with the catalyst of their controversial patient Sabina Spielrien. Freud fascinates me, and through a very good friend I have heard a lot about Jung. Coupled with Michael Fassbender, who is clearly some kind of god, I thought hello, this film is going to be mind-blowingly amazing. So imagine my surprise when I went into Netflix and discovered it was the very film they had been telling me I should watch. Naturally I took this as a sign that I was going to love this film. Let me tell you know; I did not love this film. Everything about this film, dictated that it should be brilliant. It isn’t. It is utterly bizarre – the angle that it chooses to portray the story from is quite frankly crazy. Viggo Mortensen plays a very good Freud, however this was completely wasted on the audience as the whole film seems to work to undermine everything that Freud ever concluded. In fact, there is very little mention of his actual work – bar the odd few lines of Jung mocking his thoughts. Michael Fassbender is, as per usual, brilliant. The part that he plays seems to be a million miles away from the truth about Carl Jung – but as he did a lot of whipping and whatnot, I won’t complain about that. I have watched this film twice (hoping maybe I could teach myself to like it)  and both times I have reached the end of it thinking, what a wasted opportunity. It really could have been such a fantastic film – could have given a lot of people a better understanding of how two brilliant minds came together and shaped a science still applied today. But no, sadly not. Nice one, Cronenberg.

Sensorites. 
If you follow my personal twitter you will know that I’ve been loving this band for a while now. I am the first to admit that my music taste is…varied, to put it mildly. My spotify playlists jump from Death Metal to manufactured boybands, and any number of things in between. I like it that way. So anyway, Sensorites. Completely accidental discovery I won’t lie. I think it was around February of this year. In the midst of breaking up with my now ex boyfried, who I had spent a lot of time at heavy metal gigs with, I was very ready to go back to something sounded completely different. So I toddled off to a Parlour Flames gig (I’m the biggest Oasis fan ever, of course I was going to go) in Liverpool. I will admit, I was a bit sceptical about how this was going to go. The venue was an unusual choice for the kind of event and it wasn’t as busy as I would have liked. So we sat down, and on came the first support act. I can’t even remember who it was, I think I’ve blocked him from memory (if by some weird coincidence you get to read this, sorry honey, you just weren’t my style at all). So by that point I was feeling pretty, yk, what the hell have I walked into, when Sensorites started playing. If you’re into music, then you’ll know exactly how it is when you discover something new and amazing. When your ears prick and the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and the sound just seems to seduce your brain to a puddle on the floor. They have a sound that I won’t even try and describe because there’s no way that I’d do it justice, and it’s the kind of thing that you should discover for yourself. I’ve seen them twice since that night and both times, they have sounded brilliant. I’m just completely loving their sound – it is definitely my soundtrack for the moment. Go and check out their website!

I’m obsessed with reading, but I’ve been that busy this month or so that I haven’t had 5 minutes to pick up a new book, which is kind of soul destroying. Trying to find the time to sit down and read the highway code for my driving lessons is hard enough! Watch this space for a little review on the book I have sitting at home desperately waiting for me to pick up J

B xxo

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com