Thursday 4 July 2013

June's Glossybox(es)

It seems like modern day women simply can't shy away from the miracle invention that is the beauty box, a monthly subscription service in which you are handed (well, it's delivered to your door) a small sample of beauty products from highly acclaimed or up and coming beauty brands, depending upon which company you choose.

Never people to jump into, well... Anything, without fully researching it first we set about googling companies. After eventually deciding upon the fact we would try one of each of our top selection every month until we settle on individual favourites, we both fell for the allure of the Glossybox for our June beauty box. The boxes are pretty and pink with the Glossybox simple black crown in the centre, the products are wrapped in shredded black paper, wrapped in a blanket of even more black tissue paper, and then secured with a pink ribbon and a Glossybox sticker. This, as well as the fact that the products inside were claiming to be tailored to us (you fill in a fairly extensive questionnaire upon subscribing) and the seemingly bargain price (£12.95 per month including postage) had us signing up before the end of the day. 


Figs and Rouge "Coco-Rose" lip balm in blush pink (£4.95/12ml)
Received by both
Ultra-hydrating & Multi-tasking. Figs & Rouge Coco Rose Lip Balm is a 100% natural and nourishing balm that keeps lips super soft throughout the day. Packed with Natural Anti-oxidants & deeply penetrating skin conditioners – keeps lips supple & hydrated.

Sammy:I really wanted to love this, the packaging is retro and sweet and it attracted me by being 100% natural. The shimmer was just right for me, and the colour really complimented my skin. Staying power wasn't great and it was annoying to apply with a tube but I used very little at a time and found applying with my fingers was easy enough, so this wasn't the end of the world. Seems like it would be close to a perfect product, right? Sorry, but no. Not for me anyway, I had to abandon this on day two because the natural fragrance and taste was making me gag (it reminded me of accidentally biting into a paracetamol). Overall, I feel I can recommend the brand, I imagine the cherry blossom lip balm would be gorgeous, but this product just definitely wasn't for me.

Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse OR multi-purpose dry oil (£21.00/50ml)
Received by both
Precious benefits for my skin. Your face and body are left feeling soft and silky. Your hair is supple, soft and shines with health. The sensual golden particles leave a subtle shimmer on your skin and enhance your every move.
 
Sammy: I simply cannot reccomend this enough. I applied it to dry hair, wrapped it in a towel and left it for forty minutes (should have been twenty, but I got distracted) then simply washed my hair and blow-dried it and the end result is gorgeous, really shiny and super soft, with no signs of looking greasy nearly 24 hours later, something I've suffered with when using other hair oils. I wasn't keen on the smell (think playdough) or the fact your hands get covered in glitter, but the smell washes out when you wash it so it's no big deal, and I've found out full sized bottles have spray applicators rendering the glitter on the hands issue moot. A little bit pricey but one use will convert you, even my thrifty side is begging me to buy a bottle on payday, especially seeing as I've barely made a dent in my 10ml version, so I can only imagine how long 50ml will last me!

Bek: Of all the things I recieved in my glossybox, this is by far my favourite. Sam's right, we really cannot recommend this product enough. After recently discovering the magic of argon oil, I was excited to find a new type of dry oil in my box. However, after just the first application, I realised that for me this runs rings around argon oil. I've since tried several different methods of using this on my hair; applying on wet and dry hair, washing out and leaving in. And I must say, I was amazed to find that all of this works wonders. As someone who has extremely dry and damaged (years of dying/bleaching etc, ooops!) yet thick hair, this product has made such a difference. It leaves my hair feels immensely hydrated and silky to touch - yet no signs of grease, unlike the argon oil. Although I am yet to try this on my face or body, for the benefits to my hair alone I absolutely love it. 
MeMeMe Cosmetics Long lasting nail gloss in 57 Elegant (£5/12ml currently 3 for £10)
Received by both
Premium long-lasting, high-shine nail gloss complete with maxi-brush for one-stroke application.

Sammy: On first impressions this was probably the item I liked least when I peered into my glossybox, I wouldn't say I've been converted since but I'm definitely coming around. The antique gold colour is a little bit old fashioned for me, but it's working on my toes as a summery colour for Spain. Staying power is good, barely any chips and I love the wide brush. It took literally one application for the nail varnish to look perfect, something that can really swing my opinion on nail varnish, so that's definitely working in it's favour. I've scoped the website and they have some gorgeous colours I'm considering ordering to give it a more fair chance. Once again I find myself reccomending the brand just not the colour that I got in the varnish.

Bek: This product is an interesting one, because being freakishly alike, me and Sammy usually agree on such matters. But in regards to this nail varnish our opinions differ dramatically. When I found this in my glossybox, I was thrilled. I've recently become a big fan of classic colours for my nails so when I saw this old style gold I thought it would be perfectly for me. I quickly realised I was very mistaken. On the first application, I discovered the low quality, very wide brush that made it extremely difficult to get an even finish. I will admit, it didnt chip, but after just a day it seemed to simply be wearing off. I will try it again as I really want to like it but so far this product really isn't working for me. 

John Frieda frizz ease hair serum (£3.99/25ml)
Received by Sammy
This multi-award winning hair serum from John Frieda is a must-have product for anyone wanting to achieve a smooth, polished style that’s free of frizz and flyaways. The serum has been designed with all dream hair styles in mind, whether that’s defined curls, beachy waves or super sleek and straigh

Sammy: A classic! Does exactly what it says on the tin, and has a lovely smell. I have found out the hard way that too much can make my hair flyaway, though. Lasts a long while too, so is well worth the money.

Helen E shimmer eye powder (£5/1.5g)
Received by Bek
Shimmer Eye Powder - Sprinkle a little stardust and dazzle all who gaze upon you! These Powders sparkle and shimmer in the shifting light. You can be sexy or ethereal, but never unnoticed.

Bek: I don't really have a lot to say about this product. Eye makeup is paramount to my everyday look, so this was a good choice for me by the people of Glossybox. While I wouldn't use it all over my lid it sweeps on nicely as a top shimmer coat to whatever colour eyeshadow you favour. The shimmer particles are very, very small, which I like a lot, and it's easy to apply. 

Q: Balance ; the fine fragrance body spray (£1.53/100ml)
Received by Sammy
Q is a collection of lighter, high quality fine fragrance body sprays for wearing everyday. The female range – Radiance, Balance and Awe – is a blend of fine fragrances and soft sense-active deodorant protection.

Sammy: I really didn't know what to think about this when I first looked it up, as some of the first words I read were "a grown up impulse" and essentially, that's what it is, a body spray intended for adults. I have to say though, in the last few days I've found myself searching for this in my bag on multiple occassions. It's not quite strong enough to use as deodrant and I feel like it wears off quite fast (or I get used to the smell? It quite difficult to tell.) but it's lightly floral and has made a nice holiday replacement for my heavy perfumes that I left at home. It runs down pretty fast, but it's really cheap which is always a good thing. Not a beauty essential by any means, but definitely a nice addition to your bag, especially on holiday.

Monu hydrating moisturiser SPF 15 (£29.95/50ml)
Received by Bek
Soft focus technology helps to blur imperfections and to correct skin tone. We use Zinc Oxide to provide a physical barrier against the sun’s harmful rays. This provides broad spectrum UV protection with good UVA to UVB ratio. Includes Vitamin E, an antioxidant, to fight free radicals. The best way to stop your face from ageing is to protect it from the sun.

Bek: I decided to look this product up before using it on my skin, and was very curious about the description that accompanied it. I really like this moisturiser. I use it in the mornings after my normal skin care routine, before I apply any makeup. It goes on nicely, you don't need to use a lot of product, and it makes my skin feel lovely and soft, as well as hydrating it, without leaving it greasy. It also makes a great base for my foundation. However, for me, it certainly does not blur imperfections or correct the skin tone as it claims to. Which is fine, because I didn't really expect it to - I just don't like false advertising. I do like the fact that it comes with an SPF of 15. It isn't a product that I would buy again, but I am enjoying using it at the moment.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com