Tuesday 5 November 2013

My Top 5 Skills

Albert Einstein once said "Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's entire life thinking it's an idiot", and no truer words have been spoken (other than potentially, "It's never too early for wine".) So that got me thinking. I may not be conventionally clever, but I've definitely picked up some life skills in my nineteen years.

1) Zipping dresses up on my own.
I can zip any dress up by myself and this will be a skill I will always be proud of myself for. Never rely on a man for anything, not even a simple wardrobe task. If you can probably do it by yourself, make the effort to learn how, you'll never be sorry.

2) My ability to say "No"
This is something I've only learned recently. Saying no is a big thing to me, I hate hurting people's feelings, but sometimes you have to. I've learned to say no when I don't want to do something, and it's a skill that I think will come in handy for a good few years to come yet.

3) Knowing when to call it a day.
Sometimes you have to cut your losses and know when it's time to leave the table. This is something I am willing to confess I've been having trouble with in a certain aspect of my life, but I'm still aware it's time to call it a day, even if I'm reluctant to do anything about it!

4) Sitting down and reading.
I know this sounds weird to put as a skill, but since I was a kid I've been able to sit and read, and I think that's a skill not enough people have. People want to watch films and experience it for themselves, but sometimes it's nice to read situations described beautifully in unnecessarily complicated words.

5) Pulling through.
Every few weeks I have a few days where I feel horrendously down and lonely and think I'm not going to pull through, but I always do. I think dragging myself out of holes that I get into is amongst my better skills, and it's one I'll be using for a lifetime. It's a skill that everyone should possess, being able to get through things that seem horrendously tough at the time.

So there's my unconventional top skills. I may not be able to climb trees or do science, but my god, if you want to judge me on the skills I've detailed above, you better believe I'm going to come out looking like a genius.

S xo.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com